ABOUT FLUX / ANSWERS
Who Should I Vote For? And Other Flux Membership FAQs
- Is membership free?
- Does Flux have a platform?
- Are membership details confidential?
- Why do I need Flux; I already have a representative?
- Can I still sign up if I'm a member of another political party?
- Where do you provide attribution for creative common licensed works?
- Is your voting system the same as direct democracy?
- How are candidates selected?
- Where is the Flux constitution?
- When was party registration finalized?
- How can I revoke my membership?
- Where is my member details page?
- How do I become a volunteer?
- How do you prevent people voting more than once on the Flux app?
Is membership free?
Yes. Membership is free forever. We don't believe charging a membership fee is necessary, and are working on other methods of funding to ensure we can provide open access to democracy to as many people as possible.
Does Flux have a platform?
Yes and no. We do have a platform of parliamentary reform, and we deliberately do not have any other platforms. We only seek to change the way decisions are made, not to actually make the decisions ourselves. The vision of Flux is not to be the source of new policy. The vision is to help the best policy be written.
Are membership details confidential?
Yes. Membership details will be exclusively used for party business, and never sold or willfully disclosed. Access to relevant private details of members is granted to the respective registered officers of the Federal and state branches for the purposes of registration only. Access to contact details, first names, suburbs, and postcodes is granted to members of Steering Committees responsible for communication with members. Addtionally Max has access to the full membership database as he administers it. Registered officers can be found on the respective party lists maintained by all electoral commissions.
Why do I need Flux; I already have a representative?
While some representatives are good, none are good enough to represent everyone in their electorate. Too often people's concerns are ignored because their representative has different views to them. Flux believes nobody should be cut off from democracy just because they disagree with their representative.
Can I still sign up if I'm a member of another political party?
Yes! There's no law preventing you from being a member of multiple parties. Federally, the AEC is specific in their membership eligibility criterion for non-parliamentary parties: "at least 500 members who are on the Commonwealth electoral roll and who are not also relied upon by another party for registration purposes." Some other states have stricter criteria (such as Victoria) which prevent us using anyone who is a member of another party as a supporting member for our registration.
That said, we do ask you let us know if you're a member of another party so you we can exclude you from certain registration proceedures or membership audits.
Where do you provide attribution for creative common licensed works?
Is your voting system the same as direct democracy?
No. Although there are similarities, they are philosophically very different. The main practical differences are:
- Swapping votes is allowed
- Saving 'political capital' over time is allowed
- Some similarities are: conservation of votes and distributing uniformly over the population. 'Conservation of votes' is said in the same way we'd talk about 'conservation of energy' => they cannot be created or destroyed, so the number of votes before trading is always equal to the number of votes after trading, regardless of what went on in the middle.
How are candidates selected?
Where is the Flux constitution?
When was party registration finalized?
March 29th 2016; an extremely quick application time of 2 months and 2 days.
How can I revoke my membership?
You can revoke your membership in the members app (link at the top right of the page). To do this, navigate to Menu > Your Profile > Revoke your Membership or click this direct link. If you need to log in, you can do so here.
As per the constitution, you cannot revoke your membership via email.
Where is my member details page?
Your member details link is sent to you when you first sign up. If you need it to be sent again, you can do so on the login page.
How do I become a volunteer?
Please tick the option on your membership dashboard.
How do you prevent people voting more than once on the Flux app?
We validate every participant against the electoral role before we start giving them votes. Additionally, all votes are public so if someone were to try and vote twice it would be immediately obvious and can just be ignored by auditors. Since auditing software will be publicly available, anyone can audit and verify the result of any issue that goes through the Flux system.